The chili contest cooking has come to a close.
Am I chili-ed out? Eh, kinda. But I am looking forward to rewarming a small portion of each entry and declaring a winner!! Mr. Prevention will participate, of course. The winner will be determined next weekend during the Illini’s last regular season game against Fresno State. Thank you again to all the participants! This football season has been memorable and delicious! 😀
Chicken Chili from The Tiny Tyrant’s Kitchen
1 pound chicken breast
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 cans low-sodium chicken broth
3 cans great northern white beans (1 drained)
1 can corn, drained
1 cup water
2 small cans green chilies
2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, chopped
2 Tbsp adobe sauce from chipotle peppers
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ancho chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
optional toppers: sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, cilantro (not accounted for in nutrition info)
Add chicken to slow cooker. Add 1/2 can chicken broth, 1 cup water, and 1 tablespoon garlic. Cook on high for 3 hours.
Drain and remove chicken. Shred chicken with two forks. Add chicken back to crock pot.
Chop bell pepper, chipotle peppers, and cilantro. Add to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients to crock pot. Cook on high for 1 hour.
Cook on low for 3 additional hours. Serve topped with sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips, and cilantro (not accounted for in nutrition information). Serves 8.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 229 calories; 1.4 g. fat; 28 mg. cholesterol; 989 mg. sodium; 33.6 g. carbohydrate; 11.9 g. fiber; 23.8 g. protein
Result: Mr. Prevention binged on Buffalo Chicken Dip and didn’t try this chili…not that he was opposed to it, but nothing can compete with his crack dip…nothing. But, there are lots of leftovers and this will be dinner tonight 😀 The chili is a spicy, broth-based chili. The nutrition stats are phenomenal, and there is lots of flavor. Definitely not your traditional chili OR white chicken chili, but a great change or pace. I LOVE chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and paired with cilantro…yum-o!! Enjoy!
Sodium Content of Canned Beans
I wanted to take this opportunity to say 1) December’s Cooking Light issue was a complete disappointment. Maybe it’s just me but there were only 5 or so recipes that even piqued my interest. Normally, there’s all but 2 recipes and the ads NOT ripped out! But more importantly, 2) there was a question on the “Ask Our RD” section about sodium and canned goods. …About time.
The reader question asked: Just how much sodium is reduced by rinsing and draining a can of chili beans?
The RD responded by saying that draining beans reduced the sodium by 36% (according to a 2009 study by the University of Tennessee researchers) and rinsing the beans reduces the sodium by an additional 5% for a total of 41% LESS sodium. That’s HUGE!!! I wish I had the time to go through the 10 chili recipes (and others!) to calculate the reduction in sodium, but I don’t right now…maybe someday! Regardless, this is great news and good to know! So, rinse and drain and eat 41% less salt in the process! Woo!
Coming up this week will be posts on my weekend baking adventures: Buckeyes and White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Fudge!!!! We are traveling to Illinois on Tuesday night for Thanksgiving so we’ll be clearing out of fridge of must-go’s this week….no cooking for me! At least nothing too fancy 😉
Question: Are you a leftover lover or hater?
I love leftovers! Sack lunches never interested me much, and I love knowing that my lunch meal is healthier and cheaper than what I could pack or purchase elsewhere! Mr. P on the other hand finds leftover to be “too heavy” for lunch. Yet, anything from a deep fryer or in pizza form is acceptable. THIS claim I will never be able to wrap my brain around. Men…
Off to work (Ew! 😦 ),